Sunday 23 March 2008

Wonderland: The Curious World of Frinton-on-Sea

I watched this subjective documentary this evening courtesy of the BBC I-Player. I've never been a great fan of Frinton - I find the town quaint, and a little select - but it's always been a little closer to the 21st century than next door Walton-on-Naze was ever allowed to be, and not quite so horrid as it's portrayed in this programme. "After 9pm people go back into their coffins.", says one acerbic resident.

Some of the people's foibles are amusingly edited - and there's even a touching little senior citizen's love triangle - but the trouble is that the interviewing technique is dreadful. Nearly all the subjects become edgy and suspicious at the camera constantly poking its nose in where it shouldn't, and the interviewer's questions are banal and obvious. I'm not surprised the townspeople are in uproar over the programme.

The central furore is about the proposed new level crossing barriers instead of the gates that have stood there (and been threatened) for decades. For myself, losing the gates would be another British tradition gone down the plughole. The road junction is rather horrid for motorists, but the railway line itself is, like most of the area, a rather sleepy one. So I don't see what difference having new barriers would make.

Oh, and there are YOUNG people in Frinton, contrary to what Wonderland may suggest.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I've never really explored the Essex coastline...maybe one day I'll get there! I do know the North Norfolk and Suffolk coast though, and the nearest I can think of comparing Frinton and Walton to are Cromer, Sheringham, and Southwold (my favourite being Sheringham, a lovely little place which I have always said if I had enough money to retire and buy a nice house, I be there in an instant!!)