Sunday 6 July 2008

Look who's...talking?

Yesterday I engaged in my first ever "chatroom" session with a friend (an actual person, not an assumed identity in case people are wondering) - a bizarre but curiously addictive experience, from which I couldn't tear myself away without trying to embellish the discussion, or end it with some sort of courteous wrap-up, as I would in a normal conversation - except that we weren't actually communicating by voice.

Then again today, on that fun but slightly meddlesome application Facebook, I find I have been "Superpoked" by a friend whom I haven't actually spoken to, or met in fact, for the last ten years!

What marvels the Internet can provide, without the seeming necessity for any human element.

2 comments:

Derek said...

ha ha ha! I wonder who you are referring to....

Back in the early 2000's I was ADDICTED to MSN and the "Live4Now" chat rooms - lots of late nights! I was lucky enough to meet some cool people on there and engage in some very funny conversations! Sometimes people from the chat met up on socials in Central London, and they were quite fun! This of course has grown into what Facebook, Bebo and Myspace are now.

jamie said...

it's the devil,i tell you... internet chat rooms!
they are terrible.