Friday 22 August 2008

Castle Park - Day 3

Watched Hitchcock's Vertigo on DVD late last night, which nearly made me fall asleep. I never thought that vertigo could be a cure for insomnia. However, I stuck it through and settled down to bed properly sometime before 1.00am, but then woke again to hear the sound of the rain falling heavily during the middle of night.

By this morning therefore, things inevitably looked bleak for the prospects of a prompt start to the third day's play. Thanks however to the diligent efforts of the ground staff (and the helpful BBC on-line commentary), I was able to see the start of play shortly after midday, by which time another early Essex wicket had fallen.

More injuries to both line-ups today - Danish Kaneria's broken finger rules him out for the rest of the season, and now Kabir Ali's bad back deprived Worcetershire of their top bowler (and the country's leading wicket taker) in the final session, as Essex drew away to build a lead of 346 runs. James Foster reminded the England selectors that he's a reasonable batsman as well as an excellent wicketkeeper with a determined 111 not out.

I sat through all this however in a permanent state of drowsiness, induced not only by lack of sleep but by suncream, which gives me the urge to rub my eyes whenever applied near that area. The sun only made cameo appearances today, and after I returned the Vertigo DVD to Blockbuster, I came back to the ground at lunchtime accompanied by a rather large and ominous-looking black cloud coming in from the West, which thankfully did not discharge itself onto the cricket. For the first time for a few years, the annual Colchester 4-day game looks like having something resembling four full days.


No comments: