Thursday 31 January 2008

R.I.P. Jeremy Beadle

It's always sad when a comedian dies (as Hamlet once said to Yorick "where are your jests now?"), even a celebrity as facile as this one was. But they bring a little joy into people's lives (depending on your sense of humour), and the world is a rather sadder place when they are gone.

One TV commercial I remembered from the 1980s has a slightly unfortunate ring about it: Stephen Fry narrated a cough mixture advertisement (Benylin I think) with an unwell Jeremy Beadle in bed, declaring that because dear JB hasn't taken any Benylin, then joy upon joys, "there will be no new series"! Jeremy Beadle died yesterday of pneumonia, at the age of only 59.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I always liked Jeremy, right from the early days of "Game for a Laugh". I presume the public did as well as his shows in the 80's and early 90's attracted massive audiences. I read a little about him recently and was happy to learn of his extensive charity work. Also, I hear he was somewhat of a book fan and would buy up vast collections to find interesting and rare publications!

A tv icon I grew up with has passed away. May he rest in peace.