Monday 6 October 2008

The Torch(wood) is passed on

Until last weekend I was preparing for a Star Wars convention at the Park Inn in Northampton in 2 weeks time (October 17th-19th), until I heard rumours that the event had been cancelled. Upon checking a sci-fi magazine in the shops today, I see that the same venue is now being used for a Torchwood convention.

Perhaps this is quite appropriate in a way. Anyone with a childhood memory of watching Star Wars would have to be in their 30s now at the very youngest, most likely with kids of their own. For the new generation the recent Doctor Who and its spin-offs are very much the in-thing now.

I was once backstage on a Colchester Theatre Group production, when Seth Dunt - an 8-year old connoisseur - and I discussed things Doctor Who-ish, and I mentioned that my last active memory of the series was the Christopher Eccleston episode with the return of the Daleks. He berated me for being so old hat!

So having Torchwood conventions instead of Star Wars conventions would seem to be the next logical step in the evolution of popular sci-fi: the guests are younger, and "hotter" as they say in showbiz parlance, and the audience is wide-ranging and enthusiastic.

But.....do not underestimate the power of the Force...its appeal has lasted for the last 30 years, and there's every chance of it lasting another thirty. And I just have to look at the enduring popularity of Laurel & Hardy (another film favourite of mine) as a yardstick, whose films are still being shown on DVD and at society film meetings (and occasional cinema re-releases) over 70 years later!


No comments: