Saturday 5 December 2009

Berlin (BBC documentary)

Before heading on a trip to Vienna last month, I came upon this compelling documentary series telling me about a Berlin that I can relate to more than the popular image of the pre-WWII Weimar Berlin (with its high life and cosmopolitan decadence), or the Berlin of the Cold War (with the Wall dividing East and West.)

Journalist Matt Frei, I gradually realised, is German-born, and looks at the city from a refreshingly different home-grown angle, and though I feel his outlook on the Berlin of the 1930's strays towards the negative, as a local I would think he's entitled to that.

1 comment:

Derek said...

are you planning to go there soon? Carla and I hope to go one day...I've only been to the former West Germany (various towns and cities, including Dusseldorf)