Thursday 31 December 2009

Some Highlights of 2009 (updated)

Cultural Highlight: my sister Catherine's wedding
I'm biased here of course, but the selection of music was excellent, performed by members of Essex Concert Band and Colchester Choral Society, beautifully complimenting the occasion.

Musical Moment of 2009 (excluding the above)
Susan Boyle's appearance on Britain's Got Talent, triumphantly puncturing the general snobbbishness in the music business, reminding us all that singing should be about singing and not about looks.

Theatrical Highlight of 2009: Depot

For the best, and the worst of reasons.

Most Memorable Sporting Moment:
Norwich City 1 Colchester United 7 - though you'd expect me to say England winning the Ashes.

Favourite Film of the Year: Star Trek
Not a particularly brilliant film actually, but the opening scene had more excitement than most of the Star Wars prequels, and in my opinion this is the one film that comes closest to capturing the spirit of the original TV series.

Curiosity of the Year:
Anthony Gormley's
One and Other at Trafalgar Square












I'm only sorry I wasn't involved in it myself.

Worst Moment of 2009: Nick Griffin's appearance on Question Time

1 comment:

Derek said...

....my fave film of the year was "District 9". For me, it just gets better with each viewing. I'll get it on blu-ray at some point.

I hope Norwich City and Colchester Utd can keep up their current good form and get back to playing Ipswich again. I've been disappointed with the Posh this season, I really thought they would make a better go of it in that division. What have you thought of your lot this year? Keane came under a lot of flak a month or two ago.